THE EARLY YEARS

1880-1914

OCT, 1884

The earliest known owner and operator is Anton Langsdorf. This 1884 map shows the name of the business to be Langsdorf's Boarding House with a connected saloon. The street number looks like it used to be 3419 3rd St. There is also no road or alley on the south side of the building which today is Langsdorf St.

OLD_MAPS-02.png

MAY, 1898

A new sewer line was added down the current day Langsdorf St. The boarding house is still at 1203 and the saloon at 1201.

OLD_MAPS-04.png

JUNE 30, 1908

Gustave Findorff gets license to run the saloon at 1201 and Frank Lemanski gets license for 1203

1908_JUN_30_CLIPPED.jpg

FEB 26, 1912

An article from the record-herald showing Frank Lemanski (Olympia Hotel) and his winnings.

Olympia.jpg

NOV, 1891

It appears that sometime between 1884 and 1891 the street addresses were changed. The building now shows 1201 (a saloon) and 1203 (a boarding house) in the same building. Still no name for the alley.

OLD_MAPS-03.png

JUNE, 1904

The first floor could be the dining hall and the second is for tenants. 1201 is still a saloon.

OLD_MAPS-05.png

JUNE 7, 1909

Liquor license granted to Henry Langsdorf for 1201 Third st.

1909_JUN_10.jpg

DEC, 1912

This map has the closest footprint of the building to what it is today. The name of the establishment was Olympia Hotel, run by Frank Lemanski. Sometime between 1904 and 1912 half of the building on the 1203 side was removed and the corner entrance was added. Also, the whole building is now 1203. The number 1201 moved to the building across the alley (present-day Langsdorf St.) and also operated as a saloon.

OLD_MAPS-06.png

THE GORSKI YEARS

AND PROHIBITION 

1914-1935

John Gorski's first known application to sell "intoxicating

liquors" at 1203 Third St. was in 1915. He changed the name to St. Paul Hotel and also ran the Gorski Saloon below it.

SUMMER 1914

3rd Street. The boarding house became the St. Paul Hotel once John Gorski bought the establishment. You can see the awning and part of the sign on the right. Across the street is the Northwestern House, which is now called the Polock Inn

CIRCA1914_3RDST.jpg

JUNE 5, 1915

GORSKI-1-07.png

JULY 6, 1915

GORSKI-2.jpg

JUNE 12, 1919

GORSKI-3.jpg

JANUARY 16, 1919

John Gorski had a hard time adjusting to the new state prohibition laws. Despite having many charges and trouble with the feds, he managed to hold onto the establishment throughout the prohibition years.

PROHIBITION-2.jpg

AUGUST 23, 1920

The first article in the record-herald about Gorski and his troubles with the new law.

MICH_CHARGED.jpg

SEPTEMBER 1922

John Gorski pleaded guilty to a liquor law violation in municipal court and was fined $250.

FEBRUARY 9, 1926

1926_FEB_9.jpg

FEBRUARY 1921

John Gorski pleaded guilty to a liquor law violation in municipal court and was fined $250.

MAY 7, 1921

A help-wanted ad for the Saint Paul Hotel.

MAY_7_1921.jpg

JUNE 29, 1921

The committee detailed that licenses would be granted for selling alcoholic liquors containing not to exceed one-half of one percent of alcohol. Gorski was recommended for refusal. His wife filed an application instead and was granted a "Permit A" for 1203 3rd. St.

1921_JUN_29.jpg

NOVEMBER 27, 1923

A humorous story on getting busted selling liquor again.

1923_NOV_27.jpg

HISTORIANS AT WORK... MORE TO COME